Thursday, August 4, 2011

Seeking Direction in the Midst of a Trial

One of the privileges of being a pastor is that when you prepare for a message that should feed others, you get fed in the process far more than the recipients.  This is what has happened with my study of our current series studying the first New Testament Church in Acts 1 - 8.

The most recent blessing and whipping I had  was the prayer of the people when Peter and John, upon release of being arrested for healing and preaching the Name and Resurrection of Jesus Christ,  came back to the church and reported all that had happened.

What do you think they did?  They prayed!  What do you think they prayed? If you are like me, I would expect them to pray asking God to remove the devil's attempt to stop their leaders from doing the purpose God had called them to do - to grow the church by being His witness.

But that's NOT what they prayed!  Instead they didn't ask for God to remove the trial.  They asked God to "do whatever Your hand and Your Purpose determined before to be done"!  And that wasn't all; they continued and asked "grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your Word" (Acts 4)

No, let's not ask "please remove this persecution".  Wow did I get a whipping.  I've always asked God to "protect me from evil and the deceiver's attacks"; "remove the trial".  I would forget of Paul's asking God to "remove the thorn" 3 x and each time God's answer was the same, "my grace is sufficient".

I don't know what chapters 3 - 4 have done to the church family and to those of you that have listened to the sermons on the website at www.nhbc-newnan.org. Why should we stoop to think that God cannot handle the trials of life we walk.  Why do we seem to think we should have it so easy - the truth is we are NOT AT HOME yet!

Psalm 32:8 (NKJV)
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.


What God promised Paul is promise for His children.  "My grace is sufficient".  What do we ask in the midst of the storm?

"God, grant to your servants great power to do whatever Your Hand and Your purpose determined long ago. Grant us boldness to be Your witness and walk through whatever trial we come against."
"instruct us and teach us in the way we should go.  Guide us with Your eye and allow us the strength not only to go but also to learn your way"

Oh may our God forgive me for trying to take the easy way out!

May you be blessed in your path!

Pastor Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment