Monday, March 21, 2011

The Flower of Christ


I know I'm behind the times but sometimes I learn something exciting and refreshing! This year it's the legend of the beautiful Dogwood Tree. (i hate to admit it, but I've been looking this year at pear trees that I thought were dogwood trees...).
When I was corrected, feeling so nutty, I decided to look up the facts on this awesome tree. Did you know that legend shows that history associates the Dogwood Tree with the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ? That part I knew but I didn't know the petals won't bloome until after Easter.
This is what learned:
Each petal has the shape of a cross - two long petals and two short. Look closely at the center of each petal and see there are small holes remindful of nail prints. The center cluster reminds us of the thorns that were thrust into our Lord's head.
At the time of the crucifixion, the dogwood was as large as the Oak trees of today. Because the wood was so strong and firm it was chosen to be the wood for the crosses used in the crucifixion of criminals. To be used for such a cruel purse, the crucified Christ said:
"Because of your compassion and pity for My suffering, never again
shall the tree grow large enough to be used as a cross. Henceforth, you shall
be slender and bent and twisted and your blossoms shall be in the form of a
cross.


On the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints, and the
center of the flower will resemble the cruel crown of torns placed on My head,
with bright red clusters once again recalling the blood I shed. Thus all
who see this will remember Me".
When and where the legend first appeared is unknown. But the "how" of its origin is clear. It was a spontaneous reaction of a people who were deeply familiar with the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord, and who saw imprints of it everywhere in nature. It was a profound love of Christ that inspired a legend.
(article quote comes from "The Legend of the Dogwood" by Elaine M. Jordan)
----
Wow! What a blessing! What a reminder at the beginning of the Easter season to remind us of the cost, love, and victory of the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment